Re: Ordering the Savage Garden

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Tue Jun 09 1998 - 11:25:05 PDT

Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 14:25:05 EDT
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Ordering the Savage Garden

Howdy folks, Peter here at California Carnivores. I'd like to thank everyone
who's emailed the nursery with their comments on The Savage Garden.
     I'm surprised at Barnes and Noble locations who's computers don't show
the book as being released, but this is no doubt a temporary delay. The books
were hitting the bookstore markets and book clubs last week, from the response
we've gotten here at the nursery. Last Thursday an assistant manager of a
Barnes and Noble bookstore about 200 miles from here came to the greenhouse,
because of the response to the book. She said when they arrived, her staff
stopped working to look at it for an hour, and by the end of the day all 20 of
her copies were sold out, half to employees at the bookstore. She said the
whole bookstore staff is going to take a field trip to the nursery, which is
quite flattering, since their business is books, not plants.
       I would also recommend to CPers that when possible order the book from
your local privately owned bookstore as well. While nice discounts can be had
at some of the larger distributers, smaller stores could also use the support.
      At the nursery, I have just gotten in a number of lowland Nepenthes
rooted cuttings that were taken from our collection, as well as tissue
cultured material, some highland. Many of these are quite rare. Give me a
couple of days to price them up and give the nursery a call to see what we've
got. Some of the goodies are N. rajahs, lowii x veitchiis, the giant form of
rafflesiana photographed in the book, and many other odds and ends. Please
don't call until the 10th, so I can prepare a list. Peter