RE: Mail Order CP Nurseries

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Tue Jun 16 1998 - 07:38:57 PDT

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 10:38:57 -0400
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Mail Order  CP Nurseries

> I am NEW to all the various carnivorous plant types
> and I am interested in receiving information about
> Mailorder CP Nurseries that sell carnivorous plants
> that will survive the Hot & Humid weather we have in
> South East Florida ( Fort Lauderdale Zone 10-11 ).
> As an example, the Venus Flytraps that are often
> sold in Home Depot, K-Mart and some local nurseries
> NEVER survive more than a few weeks. Are their Mail
> Order nurseries that send out a catalog with
> photographs and descriptions of each type of CP
> with their suitable climatic requirements ?

VFTs should survive just fine in S. Florida. The weather in the SE coastal
plain of North Carolina where VFTs are native is also very hot & humid,
though not quite as much and not for quite as long as where you're at.

Check your local library for CP books which will do a better job than
nursery catalogs of describing growing conditions, habitats, geographic
ranges, etc. I like Don Schnell's _Carnivorous Plants of the US & Canada_
although it doesn't cover cultivation at all.

HTH,
Philip
URL du Jour: http://www.ncrail-trails.org/trtc/