Nepenthes medium

From: Johannes Marabini (Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de)
Date: Mon Jun 15 1998 - 19:25:58 PDT

Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 04:25:58 +0200
From: Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de (Johannes Marabini)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes medium

Hallo Ross,

> G'day all
> I read with interest Johannes Marabini's informative posting on
> Nepenthes cultivation. Has anyone had any experience, good or bad with
> volcanic scoria. It is cheap & plentiful where I live (5 minutes from the
> quarry) & much favoured by many local orchid growers. It is available
> screened to various size's but I haven't quite gotten around to trying with
> cp's.

I have bad experiences with volcanic scoria! That's because the
substrate is basic and not acid! And Nepenthes don't like it. It is
the same with limesone. N.northiana is not growing IN limestone (as
f.e. Pinguicula do so) but growing in deep moss ON the limestone. And
in vulcanic scoria are a lot of mineralic components (f.e. heavy
metal), which Nepenthes don't like.

Bye

--
@e-mail: Johannes.marabini@t-online.de