germination

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Wed Jun 17 1998 - 05:44:00 PDT

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 08:44:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: germination

Last winter, I potted up a bunch of Sarr seed from many sources using
two mixes. One mix was the standard 1:1 peat/sand with a thin layer of
sand on top to try to keep algae growth to a minimum. About 15
sand-topped pots went into a tray. The other mix was the same with a
thin layer of vermiculite, again to try to keep algae growth down.
About 15 vermiculite-topped pots went into another tray.

The pots with thin layer of sand germinated very well while the pots
with the thin layer
of vermiculite have only a few (I mean really a few) seedlings. This
was not a controlled experiment. I don't remember if I put the trays in
similar conditions. One tray might have ended up on the floor not far
from lights while another went under fluorescent lights. I tried to put
seed from the same source in the two mixes but didn't keep a close tab
on that.

Does anyone have experience with germinating Sarr using vermiculite?.
Has it worked previously? If so, then maybe all I'm seeing is just
where I happened to put the vermiculite tray.

David

P.S. I have germinated some Nepenthes using only vermiculite.