N. madagascariensis

From: Ken Skau (ken.skau@uc.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 17 1998 - 10:47:43 PDT

Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:47:43 -0400
From: Ken Skau <ken.skau@uc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. madagascariensis

Hello;

I have been following the thread of comments about N. madagascariensis
purchased from various Home Depot stores in the U.S. Last year I bought a
plant labeled S. purpurea from a Frank's Nursery. It clearly was not a
Sarracenia species but a Nepenthes, but I could not identify what species.
I am now wondering if it is N. madagascariensis. Unlike some of the
comments by list members, I find this species (what ever it is) to be very
easy to grow. I have the roots wrapped in sphagnum and then set into
orchid bark in a 23 cm hanging planter that I water daily. During the
winter I had kept it in a terrarium without artificial light but in an east
facing window. The winter light period in Cincinnati, Ohio is not
particularly long, but the plant thrived. It is outside now, but humidity
in Cincinnati has been very high this spring (approximatel 100%). I wonder
if anyone has a picture of N. madagascariensis on their homepage that might
help me identify this creature?

Kind Regards,

Ken