Re: Nepenthes soil

From: Johannes Marabini (Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de)
Date: Wed Jun 17 1998 - 17:43:39 PDT

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 02:43:39 +0200
From: Johannes.Marabini@t-online.de (Johannes Marabini)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes soil

Hallo Trent,

> have is more neutral in PH. My mix is constantly being improved, and lately
> I am using less peat and more "coir", or coconut fiber peat. I mix it with
> bark, tree fern fiber, coconut fiber, clay balls (small grade) and pumice

I haven't used coir before, but I believe it is a good medium.

> (almost neutral PH, very slightly acid). I am making my mix more "rocky"

I believe, that Nepenthes like a more neutral pH. Most of the soils,
where you can find Nepenthes are washed out by heavy rain and
therefore pure in nitrogen. But some species (f.e. N.fusca or
rafflesiana) like open soil as you can find it along new roads (they
are pioniers). These soils are also pure in nitrogen but rich in
minerals. And I have seen hundreds of plants in this locations.

Johannes

--
@email: mailto Johannes.marabini@t-online.de
Homepage: http://home.t-online.de/home/johannes.marabini/index.htm