Re: Wine barrels and Carnivorous Plants

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Fri Jun 19 1998 - 09:13:57 PDT

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 09:13:57 -0700
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Wine barrels and Carnivorous Plants

Pnsamm@aol.com wrote:

> Dear people,
>
> I have a half wine barrel that I am considering as a Sarracenia
> planter, as a sort of mini-bog. I am wondering whether or not I
> should line the barrel with plastic, since the barrel reeks of red
> wine. Actually, I am wondering whether products in the wine might be
> detrimental to the plants. On the other hand, planting or rather
> watering without a liner will ensure the barrel remains wet and thus
> sealed together. Has anyone planted Sarracenia in a wine or whiskey
> barrel, and do you have any recommendation?

Peter,

I don't know about wine barrels, but for years I've grown Darlingtonia
successfully in whiskey barrels which were halved. The inside of these
particular 'casks' is covered with charcoal used in the filtering/aging
process. I wondered about the effects of any residual chemicals on, or
in the wood prior to planting, so I leached the barrels in running water
for a few days as a precautionary measure. Anybody on the list ever work
in a winery and know what they use in these containers?

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Doug

Douglas Burdic
dburdic@presys.com