Re: Hello and a question

From: Doug Burdic (dburdic@presys.com)
Date: Fri Jun 19 1998 - 09:25:14 PDT

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 09:25:14 -0700
From: Doug Burdic <dburdic@presys.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Hello and a question

David.Williams@charnwood.gb.astra.com wrote:

> My name is Dave Williams, and I have been lurking here for quite some
> time without introducing myself. I have a small collection of pings.,
> sarrs and drosera most of which I have tried to kill at some point or
> another.
> Now my question. I have a VFT which looks like it's on its last
> legs. It sent up several large flower spikes this year which I left on
> in the hope of getting some seed. At the weekend I noticed a growth
> about a third of the way up the spike which turns out to be a bout half
> a dozen small traps. Any ideas about how to propagate them?
>
> Dave Williams

Dave,

The plant(s) that are growing on your flower scape are the result of a
process called vegetative apomixis. At times, I've had up to 5 or 6
plantlets forming on one scape. I always leave them alone(occasionally
mist them) until they form their first root and can then be removed from
the scape to be placed in a pot full of live sphagnum or your regular
vft media.As an alternative, if you are producing seed on the same
flower scape and don't want to tamper with them, they will be be fine as
is, until the seed has ripened...then you may remove them, or just bend
the scape down to soil level and lightly cover the root. Care must be
taken to prevent the plantlet from drying out after it is seperated from
the scape, so a plastic cover might be in order, depending upon your
growing conditons, sun exposure, etc...

Doug

Douglas Burdic
dburdic@presys.com