Re:Help Save My Nepenthes

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 08:31:34 PDT

Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 11:31:34 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Help Save My Nepenthes

----------
>From: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
>To: Multiple recipients of list <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
>Subject: CP digest 1494
>Date: Tue, Jun 30, 1998, 10:25 PM
>

>It's not a very big plant - it's only got 11 leaves total, but it's lost
>about 4 pitchers in the last month or so. Is this normal? The pitcher
>that's turning brown now is the only one that had reddened up fully -
>The last few healthy ones still haven't gone fully red around the
>peristome.
>
>I thought it might be the lowest leaves dying off while the crown
>continued to grow, but I really don't know. They DO seem to be dying
>oldest to youngest pitchers.

Trent here in Florida. The hybrid, N. spathulata x N. veitchii, is a
vigorous grower. My tissue cultured plant is gaining size rapidly, even in
the horrible heat we are experiencing this summer. The pitchers are pretty,
a nice orangy-red peristome with a distinctive shape. This hybrid has been
dubbed (I use that term, since it is not scientifically recognized.) N.
Judith Finn.

If the pitchers are turning brown lower down on the plant, don't worry, it
is normal. If several are turning brown in rapid succession, then it may be
conditions are too hot and dry. Lower humidity ages pitchers, especially
when combined with high temps, and all it takes is a couple of hours a day.
The first indicator that your conditions are getting too hot and dry is
burned lids: the lids on the pitchers turn brown and dry.

As for the peristome color: cool nights give colorful pitchers. Also, I've
noticed N. veitchii hybrids "color up" a little slower than most, not
achieving full coloration until a few weeks after the pitcher opens. I don't
get as deep colors during the summer because of high night temps, a
characteristic of the N. maxima group and their hybrids.

Maybe this helps with your problem.

Good growing.

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida.