Re: _Hydrosme rivieri_ (was: "hydrosome riverei")

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 18:51:21 PDT

Date:          Wed, 1 Jul 1998 18:51:21
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: _Hydrosme rivieri_ (was: "hydrosome riverei")

Dear "drury",

> Subject: hydrosome riverei
>
> My mom heard something on the local news about this plant blooming, but she
> also heard it was carnivorous, I would like to hear from anyone that knows
> more.If you like, I'll send you a picture of it that I found on a website.

_Hydrosme rivieri_ (Durieu ex Carriere) Engl. (based on
_Amorphophallus rivieri_ Durieu ex Carriere 1871 non Durieu ex
Carriere 1869) is a member of the Araceae. Many members of this
family trap insects with their inflorescences. But these insects are
released after pollination, so the plants are *not* carnivorous.

Thanks for the offer but I do not need the picture.

Kind regards
Jan