Jason's Trumpets

From: Mark Pogany (markp@en.com)
Date: Wed Jul 01 1998 - 20:03:08 PDT

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 23:03:08 -0400
From: "Mark Pogany" <markp@en.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Jason's Trumpets

Jason wrote:

My S. o x p however looks
bad all over. It was a weak plant to begin with, very small with flimsy
trumpets. I think it's on its way out. The trumpets are lying nearly on
the ground and today we got a very heavy rain which caused the trumpets
to fill and fall over completely and then fill with peat and sand mud.
The pitchers are so tiny I have no way to get the mud out. All in all
I'm not at all impressed with this plant in the least.

I have many plants that resemble this. All I can tell you is keep the plant
under optimum cultural conditions (full sun, peat/sand/live sphagnum) and
wait! If your S. oreo x psittacina has a good sleep this coming winter by
next spring expect much better things. Often a transplant/ rhizome cutting
specimen takes until next season to show its true colours. I've seen this
with some of my new plants year after year!

Good growing,

Mark Pogany
Cleveland, Ohio

markp@en.com