Florida Fires / Appalachicola trip

From: Danny Hammons (dannyh@onramp.net)
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 23:51:18 PDT

Date: Fri, 03 Jul 1998 01:51:18 -0500
From: Danny Hammons <dannyh@onramp.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Florida Fires / Appalachicola trip

I just spent the last week driving through CP land in GA, FL, AL, MS, LA,
and TX.
It was kind of a CP drive / nature exploration trip, and turned out to be
quite
fun, despite the heat (95 - 105 f) and fires. As for the fire in the
Appalachicola
National Forest, it was contained last week (not under control) and was
located in
the very center of the forest. Route 65 (running through Appalachicola
N.F.) was
free from fires, though the land was very, very dry. There was actually no
indication
of fires in the area (no smoke, no smell, etc). The CPs were actually
quite amazing,
given the dry conditions....I saw S. flava, s. psittacina, s. purpurea, and
several
natural hybrids (obviously) of those three species. D. capillaris were
also readily
visible along the road side. I saw the largest s.flavas I've ever seen in the
forest. As for S. leucophylla, the state of Florida (was recently given
voter approval
and) aqcuired a plot of land near Perdido Bay, Fl. A company wanted to
clear the
prime real estate for a golf course. It just so happens that the land
contained one of the
few remaining natural stands of S. leucophylla. I spoke with the state (a
sign on the
roadside denotes the new "Perdido Pitcher Plant Prairie" and contains a
telephone number
for more information.) I was told that the first order of business was to
close off
the area to prevent unauthorized access. (I witnessed 3 kids from the
neighborhood,
which is literally next door, riding ATVs through the area.)
Probably the most unsettling thing I saw, both in the Appalachicola N.F.
and Perdido
Pitcher Prairie, is the amount of pitcher plants that get mowed down!
Along route
65, several S. psittacinas and S. purpureas were not only mowed, but run
over with
the mower's tires.

I've taken several photos and will (hopefully soon) update my long outdated
webpage
so everyone can see for themselves the current state of CPs in Florida.

Danny