Re: Fire Status on CP Populations

From: Robert L Hanrahan (k4zd@juno.com)
Date: Thu Jul 02 1998 - 20:41:05 PDT

Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 23:41:05 EDT
From: k4zd@juno.com (Robert L Hanrahan)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:  Fire Status on CP Populations

Hi Guys,

There's been some interesting conjecture about the out of control fires
in Florida
and their affects on CP's. The fires are definitely a killer of personal
property and
it's a shame they forced the cancellation of the big race at Daytona this
weekend.
As far as CP sites, I am sure they will handle the situation quite well.
The Sarracenia
seed crop will be lost where the fire went through a field, but heck,
hardly any seed
ever makes it anyway. Most of us who burn our fields do it out of sync
with the normal
natural cycle which is a summer burn. We burn in the cooler winter
season for better
fire control and when the grasses are dormant. I've had burns in
September, December,
January, February, and March on my bog and truthfully, the late September
burn was the
best for Spring seed germination and establishment in the fields.

Without periodic burns (say, 3 to 5 years between fires) open savannas
can quickly
become inundated with shrubs and other larger forms of plant life making
it hard for our
favorite species to prosper..

Let's all do a rain dance, the Floridians need it! That includes all
forms of life...

Keep 'em Growing-Bob Hanrahan in Powder Springs, GA