some questions

From: Christer Berglund (christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 14:13:50 PDT

Date: 09 Jul 98 22:13:50 +0100
From: "Christer Berglund" <christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: some questions

Hi,

I wrote in my intro that I would like to keep some lowland nepenthes in a
terrarium. Anyone have an idea for a selfsustaining (watering) system?

I was thinking of having a false bottom standing on some pvc-pipes. Under
this there should be approx. 2 inches of water. A powerhead would pump the
water up and supply a connection with smaller hoses. Each of these small
hoses would be connected to the plants pots (and these will be elevated
from the bottom). The problem is that I cannot have the powerhead on
continuously (overwatering), but if I keep it on a timer the water on the
bottom will stagnate between the waterings.

Must the plants have absolutely fresh water or can I circulate the old?
I've read that Nepenthes is sensitive to bacteria so would the build-up of
bacteria in the stagnated water create disaster? Is there a solution to
this problem? Maybe by keeping live spagnum moss (antibacterial?) on the
bottom or having a separate powerhead continuously circulating the water at
the bottom?

In a book about houseplants it was stated that you could soften hard
tapwater by adding a teaspoon of vinegar in every gallon of water. Anyone
tried it?

I've recently acquired a Drosera capensis "Alba" and now I wonder were this
species originates?

Thanks in advance

---

Regards Christer Berglund