Re:Water systems

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 15:21:51 PDT

Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 18:21:51 EDT
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Water systems

Howdy folks, Peter here at California Carnivores. I've gotten a bunch of
personal emails about my mentioning RO system problems and Deionization, and I
certainly didn't mean to cause any panic among growers! What is being
mentioned on this chat line about RO systems is quite correct. If you have
very hard water, it is wise to have the water go through a water softener
before the R.O. unit: the R.O. unit will last as long as 4 years before
replacement of the membrane is needed. (Never use water on CPs directly from a
water softener, though. See my book concerning water) Some people inquired
about whether R.O. units are useful at all -- of course they are! They are
the most practical and inexpensive way to produce purified water for the
hobbiest and collector. If you have very hard water it is wise to use a
water softener in conjunction with the R.O. unit.
     Here at California Carnivores we had for years a water softener as well
as our R.O. units, but we got tired of the added expense and got rid of the
softener. Using our well water directly into the RO units (at 550 ppm
dissolved solids!) is what ruined our units within a year. My other concern
was the wastewater which we allowed to go off down the hill at the nursery.
Due to the size and multiple RO units we were using, the ground down the hill
turned into a swamp, and I was worried about the native oaks on the property,
which require dry soils in summer.
     Furthermore, here at the nursery we need about 300 gallons a day of pure
water. This is why we switched to Deionization. I've received many emails
asking what this system is. I originally had a paragraph in my book about it,
but eliminated it due to its impractibility for the hobbiest and the enormous
size of the book. (About 50 pages were cut!) Our deionization system cost
$2,000 to install. The well water runs through cannisters similar to a water
softener, and with ions and other things I just don't understand, the water
comes out pure and with the same pressure as out of the hose. The cannisters
will have to be changed by the company we hired to install the system, which
will cost about $500 each time, but that may only be required every few months
(we pray!). Deionization systems are usually used in places like hospitals
where large quantities of pure water are needed. I honestly don't know if
small systems for the home are available.
      So, to all those who inquired in a panicy way: relax. R.O. systems are
ideal for purifying water, but use a water softener if your water is over 300
or so ppm. Yes, one can use pressure pumps to get hose-like pressure from
your collected R.O. water, but at our nursery this became too complicated. We
used to water by hand with our R.O. water, and in summer it took one person 3
hrs a day. Now with our hose and wand and vast quantities of water, and no
wastewater, watering all of our plants takes about 3 hrs a week! Water has
always been the limiting factor at California Carnivores: Marilee and
Charmaine are expanding our outdoor growing facilities as we speak, thanks to
the DI system. Soon we'll automate much of it and we'll have more time to grow
plants! Peter