Re: VFT flowers

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Jul 09 1998 - 15:19:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 09 Jul 98 18:19 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: VFT flowers

Dear Arauco

> I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I have 3 VFT's and one of them
> flowered in the past summer and gave me viable seeds. Now we are in
> winter, but it's very mild. My 3 plants are producing the flower stalk
> (which is more thick and long than the one in the summer) and they are
> producing smaller leaves too, because the season. I wanna know if the
> blooming is normal for this season and if this can affect the reserves
> of the rhyzome for re-sprout new leaves in the next spring for a good
> growing. Please tell me what to do.

   No, it is not normal. However, this maybe harmless anyway. To
be on the safe side, only let one of your plants flower. I would
choose the one with the most flowers, for more seed. The others
could expend too much energy flowering and weaken. If that happens
to the one you let flower, or it dies, then you know not to let them
flower twice a year, or at least not in winter.

Dave Evans