Comments on Bonn ICPS/GFP conference

From: Rick Walker (walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Tue Jul 14 1998 - 13:29:14 PDT

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 13:29:14 -0700
From: Rick Walker <walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Comments on Bonn ICPS/GFP conference

This messages is forward on behalf of Larry Mellichamp
(tlmellic@email.UNCC.EDU).

--
Rick Walker

------- Begin Forwarded Message

Dear Group,

Now that I've returned from the CCPS Congress in Bonn and had a change to catch up, I'd like to say a few words about the conference.

First, my thanks to the planning committee-Jan Schlauer (glad to meet you finally), Frank Gallup, Wolfram Lobin and Wolfram Diester. I'm sure the Gardens Director, Dr. Barthlot, had a hand in staging this production as well. I especially thank Jan for helping with my arrangements. The projectionist - whose name I did not get - did a super-human job working with the slide projectors and microphones. They all did a wonderful job keeping things moving and keep us together. This was probably the best conference I have attended BECAUSE it was in an exotic location for me, because so many different topics were covered, and because - amazingly, we all were able to communicate in English. At least 12 countries were represented by speakers.

I only wish more people could have attended.

The Botanical Gardens were magnificent - I spent much time there after the conference. The display of carnivorous plants was the best I have seen anywhere; and so diverse. The Drosera regia in flower was spectacular; alone worth the trip for me!

I was awed also by the CP for sale by Thomas Carow. Buy plants from him if you can; they are the best I have ever seen at a commercial nursery. I was very surprised to see his beautiful Roridula for sale; I don't think they grow them that well even in their native South Africa. He has a calendar for sale that is unbelievably beautiful - outstanding photos of CP from around the world. A unique item. E-mail him at Carow-wrono@t-online.de

The slide presentations were outstanding - allowing you to travel to many remote parts of the world to see the habitats of CP (and many other plants and animals). The outstanding slides of Andreas Wistuba from New Guinea were most interesting as that is probably the least visited country. E-mail him for Nepenthes at nepenthes@wistuba.com

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting -and reacquainting -with CP folks from all over the world.

Bonn was a beautiful city - I spent several days there after the conference. The Bonn Botanical Gardens also have a very special outdoor display - a recreation of native habitats of that region of Germany showing rare and unusual native plants ranging from wetlands to sand dunes to rocky mountains. I was impressed by this novel idea of Wolfram Lobin's.

A highlight also was the post conference tour lead by Wolfram Lobin into the countryside to tour castles, drink wine in Mosel vineyards, explore ancient Churches (one was build in 940 AD), and see the native habitats of plants that are well know as weeds or ornamental plants in the USA.

I am looking forward someday to visit the nursery at Triffid Park in Australia, now after talking with Colin and Tina Clayton and seeing their catalog and photos. Email them at triffid@dingley.net

People should make their wishes known about any future International meetings, perhaps in the year 2000; perhaps in California.

Best wishes to all, Larry

Larry Mellichamp Biology Dept., UNC Charlotte Charlotte, NC 28223 U.S.A. phone (704) 547-4055 Fax (704) 547-3128 NEW--E-Mail tlmellic@email.UNCC.EDU

------- End of Forwarded Message