RE: Anybody Else Not Received Their Newsletter?

From: Rick Walker (walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Wed Jul 15 1998 - 13:46:27 PDT

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 13:46:27 -0700
From: Rick Walker <walker@cutter.hpl.hp.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Anybody Else Not Received Their Newsletter?

Doug Burdic writes:
> I'm hearing alot of talk about the new June issue of CPN, but all I'm
> getting in my mailbox here in Oregon are bills and Publisher's
> Clearing House letters, stating that I'm a winner again this year.
> Anybody else out there not received their copy yet?

Dear Doug,

If you received CPN 1998 V1, then V2 should arrive through the normal
mailing process. I've only had my copy for about a week, so there is a
good chance that yours is still in the US mail system. If you never did
get 1998 V1, then you probably got lost in our membership database - but
don't despair! - help is on the way.

I've spent the last two weeks moving the ICPS database over to a UNIX
system.

In my archeological quest, I've found that an embarrassingly large number
of members were erroneously marked as in "arrears", when actually they
were paid up. This was partly due to a confusion about which field in
the database controlled our mailing label generation, and the fact that
there have been at least four different people involved in doing the
updates.

As an improvement to our system, I've got the latest version of the
database on the web, where it is accessible to ICPS officers only. This
will allow all the officers to give immediate responses to membership
questions rather than the vague "run-around" that you may have seen
before.

I've just sent Tom Johnson a very large packet of pre-addressed sticky
labels for back order mailing of 1998 V1,V2. This should bring us
up-to-date, and hopefully be the last word on "missing CPNs".

Please email me if you have ever contacted any of our officers without a
definitive closure on your membership status. I now have, for the first
time, complete up-to-date information at my fingertips. All known
corrections and updates have been applied, so I'm happy to field any
questions, and to finally resolve any discrepancies.
I have the database on-line at work, and can answer your questions
immediately by return email.

New memberships will be most rapidly processed if mailed to
directly to my home address. This will elimnate a two-week forwarding
delay that occurs with the ICPS PO Box.

    ICPS c/o Rick Walker
    2060 Oberlin St.
    Palo Alto, CA
    94306-1315

The latest membership form can be found at

    http://tncweeds.ucdavis.edu/bazza/cps/cpn/member.html

Finally, we can now accept multi-year subscriptions. If you'd like
to avoid the annual hassle, you can now pre-pay for multi-year
subscription. This will also help me out by reducing the beginning
of the year renewal crunch.

kind regards,

--
Rick Walker