Re:Sarr. Dormancy, necessary?

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Jul 15 1998 - 09:33:13 PDT

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 12:33:13 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Sarr. Dormancy, necessary?

Hello Michael and all,

Maybe I can answer this question, since I grow Sarracenias south of their
native habitats (not by much, however. A nice stand of S. minor grows about
a two hour drive north.)

I have killed Sarracenia by subjecting them to an overly warm winter season.
The plants last a few years and literally grow themselves to death. Now I
grow them outside of the "greenhouse", out in the open where they get a
blast of direct sunlight for most of the day. This year my plants are
looking great, because I forced them to go dormant during Jan and Feb. I let
them go a little on the dry side and I threw distilled water ice cubes in
their tray whenever we had nice beach weather. In March they start back, and
now I have the best crop of pitchers I've ever grown.

Clyde Bramblett of Orgel's Orchids in Homestead grows lots of Sarracenia,
and they do well for him. He is south of me, but further inland, so his
winter nights on average are about 10 degrees F colder than mine, and he
does nothing special to his plants. That 10 degrees make all the difference
between success and failure with Sarracenia.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Fl.