Sarr. Dormancy, necessary?

From: gfroese1 (gfroese1@MINET.gov.MB.CA)
Date: Tue Jul 14 1998 - 10:01:29 PDT

Date: Tue, 14 Jul 98 17:01:29 -0000
From: gfroese1 <gfroese1@MINET.gov.MB.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarr. Dormancy, necessary?

Hello CPers! I have another question that I have yet to find a definite
answer to. The question of whether Sarracenia dormancy is really
necessary. I have grown Sarracenia Purpurea prupurea for over 5 years.
It has bloomed the last 2, yet I have never put it or the terrerium it's
in, in a fridge or freezer, or a dark place. Some books have said that
if Sarracenia's don't have a chance to go dormant that they die. I
admit, my Sarracenia aren't always growing as fast as they usually do,
the same thing happens with my venus fly traps (I don't make them go
dormant either, and haven't for the last 8 years). So my question is, do
Sarracenia plants have to go dormant or not? I don't make mine by
putting them into a fridge yet they are still growing very fast, are all
healthy with no diseases and have grown quite large.

A dedicated CP grower, Michael Froese