D. binata

From: Mark T. Bachelor (bachelor@gateway.mggs.vic.edu.au)
Date: Wed Jul 15 1998 - 23:30:34 PDT

Date: Thu, 16 Jul 1998 16:30:34 +1000
From: "Mark T. Bachelor" <bachelor@gateway.mggs.vic.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: D. binata

Greetings All,

As has already been said, D. binata comes in many forms. The different
subspecies are found along a range that stretches from southern Victoria
(and possibly Tasmania) right up the east coast to northern Queensland.
>From memory, D. binata ssp. multifidia is found on Frazer Is. which is off
the Queensland coast. Frazer Island is the world's largest sand island and
has very pure water. Apparently the D. binata that grow there dwarf
cultivated specimens (large plants grow amongst the rushes on the banks of
waterholes).

Considering the quality of the water they get in the wild I would not expect
them to tolerate wellwater. Local plants would get more surface water than
ground water. I normally water mine with tapwater, but then we have very
high quality tapwater. I also grow them in spagnum and during summer keep
the water level almost upto the height of the crown (D. binata ssp
multifidia is does well with its crown under water during summer and copes
well with temps that can exceed 40 C).

I understand the the plants up north do not go into to dormancy, but they
certainly do in Victoria. Grown outside in semi-shaded areas with plenty of
water they are just as much a weed as D. capensis.

Regards

Mark T Bachelor
Biology Technican
Melbourne Girls Grammar School Voice: +61 (03) 9866 1676
South Yarra, Victoria, Fax: +61 (O3) 9866 5768
Australia 3141