size

From: Jean De Witte (j.dewitte@t-online.de)
Date: Tue Jul 21 1998 - 11:14:37 PDT

Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:14:37 +0200
From: j.dewitte@t-online.de (Jean De Witte)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: size

> I know N.rajah has the largest pitchers, but isn't
>N.bicalarata the
>largest Nepenthes? If it's not, what is?

>Dave Evans

Again (see my remark couple of days ago) size is defined
by the environmental conditions. I have seen ampullaria
around 15 - 20 meter in one location, yet at another one
they barely reached 0.75 meter. Remember most
nepenthes behave like vines and tend to compete with
other plants in the forest, so they try to reach the
canopy. In culture, we cannot cope with those sizes, and
we prune to keep the plants manageable.

mailto:j.dewitte@t-online.de
http://home.t-online.de/home/j.dewitte
public key :http://www.nic.surfnet.nl/pgp/pks-toplev.html