Re: Byblis, etc.

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Wed Jul 22 1998 - 10:24:44 PDT

Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 13:24:44 EDT
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Byblis, etc.

Howdy folks; Peter here at California Carnivores.
      Like Glenn Rankin, my experiment with Byblis gigantea outdoors this past
winter proved a dismal failure. In my column in CPN, I had mentioned putting a
plant in one of our outdoor wine barrel bogs at the nursery. Another I grew in
a pot on my deck. Both plants did fine all last summer, with occasional 100
degree F temperatures and late autumn frost down to 24 degrees. The plants
started to "go dormant" in the middle of winter here, around February. Since
this was an experiment, I left the plants as is. I think the problem was the
90 inches of rain we received over a dismal seven month period, when the
plants should have dried out, even though they dormant in the wrong season.
The wine barrel was continuously flooded. I have left the plants as is, their
stems are still there, but no growth yet. I fear they have rotted.
Meanwhile, the greenhouse plants grow year round with damp to wet soils and
temperatures from the 40s to the 80s.
     I enjoyed the report from David about the CP show in southwestern Canada.
Showing people well grown CP are the best way to get them interested in the
hobby! I have done displays in everything from our local bank ( an annual
event for 8 years) to shopping malls. Keep up the good work! The comments
about women hobbiests was also encouraging. Back in the 80s and prior, very
few womenfolk were into the hobby. Nowadays, I guess about one third of our
customers are women. The Bay Area CP club also has a large percentage of
women - maybe almost half at some of our meetings.
      My radio interview this morning went well, out there in the Midwest. It
was curious listening to peach and corn commercials in between the discussion!
      Th-th-th-th-that's all folks!