Re: _Utricularia_ Identification

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 09:25:50 PDT

Date:          Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:25:50
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: _Utricularia_ Identification

Dear CP-man,

> Today, while searching through another bog down here, I came across a pond.

Where?

> I found in there lots of an Ultricularia species. Only a few were in flower.
> The flowers are yellow and white and are an inch in diameter. It is an
> aquatic.

Is it fixed to the ground or freely floating?

> The bladders are 2mm in diamter. It reminded me of a herbaecous
> tree

This is quite a paradoxon (trees are always woody, not herbaceous).
There is, however, no woody species in _Utricularia_, so it most
probably reminded you of a herb.

> because the bladders were not scattered, they branched out from the
> main stem and the bladders acted like leaves would as they grow from the
> braches.

Does the plant have any leaves? It should have them. How are these
positioned relative to the traps?

> Does anyone know what this might be?

It might be an _Utricularia_ or any similar plant.

> Or can I send a sample to someone for identification?

You should conserve a sample in any case. It would be best to put a
complete specimen (incl. flowers and fruits, if present) into 70%
(v/v) ethanol.

You should first try to identify the species yourself. This is not a
major problem with Taylor's monograph (your university library ought
to have it).

If this fails, you could send me an alcohol-conserved specimen (this
may become rather expensive, depending on where you are sending from).

My address is:

Jan Schlauer
Zwischenstr. 11
60594 Frankfurt