Swamp coolers

From: John Green (hpjgreen@ihc.com)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 08:33:14 PDT

Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:33:14 -0600
From: John Green <hpjgreen@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Swamp coolers

Paul Ulrich wrote:

Does anyone know where to find an affordable and portable evap cooler?
or has any knowledge on "swamp coolers". It's all new to me, since I am
thinking about artificially cooling my Neps...

Swamp coolers are very simple, but they only cool well in low humidity
climates. They are used a lot here in Salt Lake City, but are not as
effective when the humidity goes up. You could check with the home
improvement stores, but I don't know of anything portable. Basically,
is a big box with vented walls and a fan in the center (it's usually
mounted on the roof or in a window). The walls all hold pads with water
trickling through the pads. The fan pulls the hot outside air through
the wet pads, cooling the air, and forces it into the house. It raises
the inside humidity a lot, and all the doors swell up. The idea can be
applied very easily. I even knew a man in Arizona who grew vines around
his porch and had a pipe around the top dripping into the vines. As the
breeze blew through the vines it cooled the porch area quite nicely.
You could make it work easily in a greenhouse, but I don't think it
would work well on a small scale. For a greenhouse, you could put s!
ome pads in one wall and a fan in

the opposite wall so that it pulls the cooler, humid air through the
greenhouse.

Good luck.