CP rainwater runoff question

From: L235@aol.com
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 08:48:47 PDT

Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 11:48:47 EDT
From: L235@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: CP rainwater runoff question

Have been using rainwater runoff (from the roof of my house) for CP watering
now for several (three) years. During that time I have heard occasional
warnings about harmful elements from the asphalt shingles potentially leaching
into that water, particularly copper (apparently used by certain shingle
manufacturers to retard moss growth). Can anyone tell me what the specific
concerns are, and what symptoms in my CP I should be looking for? In the last
year I have noticed increased spotting among some plants (particularly S.
minor and certain S. x catesbei specimens) (brown circular areas of damage
surrounded by red tissue) oftentimes leading to the death of the affected
pitcher (the damage eats through a stem, in certain extreme cases). This year,
some plants have been exhibiting deformed pitcher formation (S. flava and S.
minor). I have since switched to tap water filtered through charcoal and an
ion-resin bed (thanks Michael Fantus for the suggestion!), and have noticed
some apparent improvement. Am I imagining things? Should I be truly concerned
and avoid runoff completely? Could I treat runoff water with aquarium
chemicals designed to precipitate metals (like copper)?

Any help from the assembled expertise would be appreciated.

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)
Ashburn, VA, USA