Honeybee crisis

From: Nep (situla@spacestar.net)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 12:12:43 PDT

Date: Mon, 27 Jul 98 14:12:43 -0500
From: Nep <situla@spacestar.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Honeybee crisis

  Though not directly relating to carnivorous plants, this is a big
problem from where I sit.
>From my home in Minnesota I have noticed a serious problem with the
honeybee population this year; namely, the population itself.
There is no honeybee population.

This year, my backyard (~50 square yds) was absolutely breathtaking
during spring. Two plum, three apple, and a crabapple tree make (made) up
the staple of my fruit tree crop, all of which were in full bloom, not
counting all of my pitcher plants and my garden which was "overflowing"
with flowers this year (this summer's storms have knocked down two of my
fruit trees, though)
I, as of yesterday, have counted two honeybees. One aimlessly flying
through my backyard a few months too late for the spring bloom, another
which fell onto my lap when driving home from a trip on the St. Croix
river.

I heard of a certain disease which had hit the honeybee population
recently, it is possibly that this same disease could have been what
affected my own bee population this year.
I am very worried about those little critters, and input would be greatly
appreciated.
Obviously I have to urge you not to let any honeybees fall victim to your
plant's various traps, and to rescue the ones that do! We need all the
bees we can get.
-T