Re: new zealand moss, re: brown sphag tips

From: Nep (situla@spacestar.net)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 12:40:24 PDT

Date: Mon, 27 Jul 98 14:40:24 -0500
From: Nep <situla@spacestar.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: new zealand moss, re: brown sphag tips

  Greetings, Paul:
My dried sphagnum grows....and grows.... Just give it water and it grows.
I do not know of and "surefire" method of making it spring into life, but
it propagates like bacteria (no, not really, but I just think of it that
way) Throw a few live sprigs of moss into a pot and it seems to multiply.
A method that I have noticed works nicely is placing a layer of ~1 inch
of moss into a jar (slightly ventilated), or a very wet growing area, or
both. Sphagnum is naturally sterile, so I would not count on any fungus
invading the jar at all (that is, it has never happened to me).
It seems as though any quantity of moss invariably starts growing again.
I, when doing some media experiments, threw a package of dried moss into
a microwave for a minute or two (I forgot why) and even *that* moss
started to grow later on (I don't recommend that practice to anyone).

Greetings:
  If you live near an area with large amounts of naturally growing
sphagnum moss (of have just seen it somewhere) you may notice that
practically *every* tip is browning. In Minnesota, the moss is
everywhere. Every time I have seen it hunting, hiking, whatever, it looks
very thick and dark tipped, or has the young, bright green appearance.
I, myself, do not know why this happens. However, it happens to the moss
on the surface of my Nepenthes terrariums and nothing detrimental happens
as a result of it (it may look funny, though).
hope I have helped (or have further defined) your problem.
-Trev