Re:Nepenthes Pitcher size

From: Richard Brown (esoft@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jul 30 1998 - 12:53:35 PDT

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 15:53:35 -0400
From: "Richard Brown" <esoft@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:Nepenthes Pitcher size

>it's just that the pitchers seem to develop into monsters when there are
>these sort of nooks and crannies around the plant for it's pitchers to
>grow in.

Dave Evans made this observation, and, come to think of it, Yea. I've noted
for some time that the largest pitchers sit on the ground, but never really
thought about those "hidden giants" that you find opened beneath the leaves
of another plant two pots away. Perhaps these protected "niches' and
crannies have higher humidity, or slightly less air circulation that allows
a more constant atmosphere. This sounds like the antithesis of growing
Nepenthes "hard", which also results in large, colorful pitchers. Give 'em
as much light as they'll tolerate, and allow the humidity to fluctuate a bit
and you get nice, large pitchers- especially those pitchers hidden in nooks
and crannies.

As for the largest pitcher issue: the giant form of N. rafflesiana
supposedly makes pitchers close to if not the same size as N. rajah. N.
truncata is no slouch either.

>Has anyone
>managed to make N.rajah * N.ampullaria???

Let me know where those N rajah x N ampullaria seedlings can be found!!!

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida