Re: Queensland Sundew Cultivation

From: L235@aol.com
Date: Thu Jul 30 1998 - 14:30:34 PDT

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 17:30:34 EDT
From: L235@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Queensland Sundew Cultivation

> From what I hear, D. adelae is the easiest Queensland Sundew to
> grow. From my experience though, I find D.prolifera easier, but
> I don't have any of them down pat (that is I'm still missing something
> about their culture). Also, D.adelae can handle brighter light than
> the other two. Whether it will be happy were you placed, only time will
> tell.

I would be curious to hear from successful growers of the tropical Australian
Sundews (D. adelae, D. shizandra and D. prolifera). I grow them all myself,
the first two are touch and go (alternating between death/dormancy and lush
growth) and D. prolifera is a fairly reliable grower for me. But, given that
all three have a terrible reputation for being finicky, and cultural advice
varied widely (pure long-fibre sphagnum, peat/sand, pure perlite, etc.) ....
what do people do? (Besides, might make a nice 'Caught on the 'Net' Column for
an upcoming issue of CPN. Please include all relevant details ... light,
humidity, moisture, growing medium, water levels, photoperiod, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)