Queenland Australia, Sundews

From: Tim Krug (tkrug@slip.net)
Date: Thu Jul 30 1998 - 23:33:04 PDT

Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 23:33:04 -0700
From: Tim Krug <tkrug@slip.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Queenland Australia, Sundews

> From what I hear, D. adelae is the easiest Queensland Sundew to
> grow. From my experience though, I find D.prolifera easier, but
> I don't have any of them down pat (that is I'm still missing something
> about their culture). Also, D.adelae can handle brighter light than
> the other two. Whether it will be happy were you placed, only time will
> tell.

I would be curious to hear from successful growers of the tropical Australian
Sundews (D. adelae, D. shizandra and D. prolifera). I grow them all myself,
the first two are touch and go (alternating between death/dormancy and lush
growth) and D. prolifera is a fairly reliable grower for me. But, given that
all three have a terrible reputation for being finicky, and cultural advice
varied widely (pure long-fibre sphagnum, peat/sand, pure perlite, etc.) ....
what do people do? (Besides, might make a nice 'Caught on the 'Net' Column for
an upcoming issue of CPN. Please include all relevant details ... light,
humidity, moisture, growing medium, water levels, photoperiod, etc.)

Thanks in advance!
Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)

Hi Folks,

I have good success with D. prolifera and D. schizandra; I haven't tried D.
adelae. Part of my success stems from the fact that I live 3 city blocks
from the Pacific Ocean (San Francisco). The schizandra and prolifera like
it cool, humid, no more than 2 hours of direct sunlight a day (this is just
MY formula for success, not THE formula for success). The foggy Sunset
district is really an asset, I think, for growing these 2 sundews. As
Peter D'Amato and others have stated before, use no fertilizer on these 2
sundews. My prolifera are planted in a 4 in (10 cm) diameter, 6 in (15 cm)
deep plastic container, no drainage, 2 in (5 cm) of water. Soil: bottom 2
in (5 cm) 1:1 dried sphagnum, vermiculite, top 2 in (5 cm) living sphagnum
moss. The plant should be restricted by providing a pot no larger. This
encourages flowering and runners of baby plants. My schizandra like
similar conditions to prolifera above except for a bit more light, some
sand and charcoal added to the soil, and slightly less water in the no
drainage pot. Only some of my plants get artificial light and I rely
mostly on a east facing window. Incidentally, my SumpfKrug (Heliamphora)
do very well in this climate.

Best Wishes,

Tim Krug