Re: Photoperiods and the Dark Cycle

From: Steve Gordon (gordon@rapid.co.uk)
Date: Fri Aug 07 1998 - 17:22:54 PDT

Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 01:22:54 +0100
From: "Steve Gordon" <gordon@rapid.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Photoperiods and the Dark Cycle

Dear Benjamin,

Thank you very much for replying to my post. You would not believe some of
the suggestions that I have had from so-called experts. As soon as you
mention discharge lamps they immediately assume you are growing something
that you smoke!

Suffice to say, that I will be trying all of your excellent suggestions
until I hopefully arrive at the solution. This is not a major problem as I
can grow some nice healthy plants in my cellars; it's great to go down there
in the depths of Winter; it's like a Summer's day!!

As for giving plants 24 photoperiods, I have no doubt that a lot of plants
will continue to grow under such conditions as you have said, but the info I
have states that after 16 to 18 of light in a 24-hour period a point of
diminishing returns is reached: this is purely from a financial point of
view, the extra growth in those 6 hours is not worth the cost of the
electricity.

On a lighter note, did you know that theoretically you can light your plants
for 10 minutes out of 30; they will keep growing because of the after effect
until the lights come on again!

Best wishes

Steve, UK