Nepenthes in Ohio

From: Capestany (dr.cap@erols.com)
Date: Fri Aug 14 1998 - 15:13:00 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 15:13:00 -0700
From: "Capestany" <dr.cap@erols.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes in Ohio

Joe Mawer wrote:

> The cat is the winner, I lost my VFT, now I start all over again .
> 1) Is it too late to start with new plants?
>
> 2) Does any one have any seed for pitcher plants that may be native to
> central Ohio? I know everyone uses that latin word,
> Nepa..Nepi.....Nepo.....but I can't spell it, let alone pronounce it!
>
> 3)Anyone have a bargin price on a large cat-proof birdcage? The hot
> pepper sauce, chili powder, ect didn't work. Thank you to everyone who
> responded about the CP- eating cat.
>
> Joe and Dodi Mawer

I can answer question #2 for you: no, Nepenthes certainly AREN'T native to
Ohio, let alone the US. They grow in the tropical conditions of Asia, most
on the island of Borneo. If you are going to start a Nepenthes collection,
you should search the web for more info on growing them (there is more than
enough out there) and I wouldn't recommend starting off with seeds... get
some nice sized plants from a reputable nursery and you'll be much happier.
Good luck.

Paul Capestany
Alexandria, Virginia
USA