Re: a couple of mid-summer questions

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Mon Aug 17 1998 - 10:52:30 PDT

Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 13:52:30 -0400
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: a couple of mid-summer questions

Hi Vincent,
 I can help you with a couple of your questions, but the rest will have to be
answered by others.

1. Can you overfeed cephalotus pitchers to the point where they will die
prematurely?
 YES, this is common. Try to limit your feeding to very small pieces.
 Ceph eat
rather slow and don't seem to handle a large amount of food at once.
Also, once a pitcher has been well used, they tend to turn brown. This
is normal.

3. What's a Green Dragon VFT?
A clone of the red dragon, but shows more green then red. This is an unnamed
cultivar. They are cheaper then the red dragon, but as they become adults,
you have a hard time yelling them apart. If interested, try Dean Cook. He
sells some really nice quality plants.

4. Is there such a thing as a Red Dentate VFT?
 YES, You will find that the all red dentate vft is not completely all
 red, but
a combination of red and green. Some people call it the red saw tooth.
They are around, but the adults are kind of expensive right now. Ours
won't be available for a while, but when they are, we will be offering
some really nice red ones for a reasonable price.

5. How many years can drosera stay in the same soil without repotting?
 depends on the soil. Some can last for years, while others will only
 last two
seasons. A lot depends on the conditions they are in.
 Charles Brewer