Re: _Aldrovanda_

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Tue Aug 18 1998 - 10:24:18 PDT

Date:          Tue, 18 Aug 1998 10:24:18
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: _Aldrovanda_

Dear Tom,

> looked for some cp, others than S.purpurea. I just found something who's
> like Aldrovanda in this "lake", no alguae or others aquatics plants. Can it
> possible that was some Aldrovanda? Because I live in Canada, in the
> province of quebec, and I don't think that these plant grow here... Help me
> to resolve this mystery.

Almost nothing is impossible. It is just a question of likelihood.
First, please try to definitely find out what the plant was.
_Aldrovanda_ does always have traps on the leaves except at the base
of the flowers. The structure of the leaves is so unique in the plant
kingdom (or even among living beings) that no confusion is excusable.
If you do not know what _Aldrovanda_ looks like (in this case, your
statement "something who's like Aldrovanda" would not make sense,
however), please check out the September 1997 issue of CPN, where the
genus was featured from almost any aspect ever considered by mankind.

To say the least, it is extremely unlikely to find _Aldrovanda_ alive
and native (or at least introduced and naturalized) in Canada. There
are dozens of reasons why the plant should not exist/survive there
(too arctic climate, outside the Old World, below massive layers of
ice during the glaciations). Anyway, if the plant (if and only if it
was *really* _Aldrovanda_) was there, this would be a most
interesting exception to the rule. In this case, I would be very
interested in a conserved (preferably in 70% ethanol) specimen.

Kind regards
Jan