Heat Resistent Darlingtonia

From: JDPDX@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 19 1998 - 21:31:56 PDT

Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 00:31:56 EDT
From: JDPDX@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Heat Resistent Darlingtonia

<< Yes, for those of you that remember from last year, I'm still searching
 for a heat-loving Darlingtonia. >>

David,

This is an endeavor I too have been interested in. I think I may know of a
location where some more heat tolerant varieties exist.

Near the town of Cave Junction, Oregon there are many Darlingtonia colonies.
They grow in springs in serpentine soils. Sometimes it's not that cool,
especially at the bottom of the hill in such springs. I just finished a
backpacking trip in the Kalmiopsis Wilderness there and it was hot! You may
be able to get permits from the Siskiyou National Forest to collect seed.
When I was there last week the seed pods were ripe, but not open yet. I
predict about 3 more weeks.

I also have pictures of a couple of the stands. If anyone is interested, just
e-mail me. I should have them ready for download in about 2 weeks.

Jeff Dallas
Portland, OR