weird neps

From: Stuart Haxton (stuart@haxton.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Aug 19 1998 - 08:02:34 PDT

Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 16:02:34 +0100
From: Stuart Haxton <stuart@haxton.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: weird neps

Hello everyone,
        Just when I thought everything was going so well, I have another
problem. Although this occurs occasionally on all my neps, but only on
one or two leaves , on my N.Ventricosa it happens to every pitcher,
except the 4/5 mm ones on a developing basal shoot. It appears that the
lid breaks open too soon, and stops developing, as does the rim, and the
pitcher does not get to full size. The result is grotesquely deformed
pitchers that look like balloons or bottles with tiny mouths and
ridiculously tiny lids. My new N.mirabilis is not pitchering at all, but
the other 5 plants are fine. This phenomenon appears on these from time
to time, but by no means as severe.
        As you have probably guessed, this is really irritating and if
there's a remedy I would like to hear about it!
        Another thing...I have a humidity meter in my greenhouse...talk
about hard conditions...these plants have in the past shown huge growth
in humidity that fluctuates between 20 and 60 percent! ( as the temp
rises the humidity drops. I'd like to stop this... any suggestions?

Sorry about all these questions...I hope I have something useful to say
soon :-)

cheers,

Stuart Haxton