greenhouse lighting problems

From: Oreophila@aol.com
Date: Fri Aug 28 1998 - 17:11:37 PDT

Date: Fri, 28 Aug 1998 20:11:37 EDT
From: Oreophila@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: greenhouse lighting problems

Hello, Bill typing,
 Here is the problem, I have a 9' by 8' greenhouse that is not getting enough
light. It has a regular house roof on it and a three foot wide walkway down
the middle. I am looking at some HPS lamps. There is a 600 w. lamp that
covers an area of 6 by 6 feet that plants need to be at least 3 to four feet
away from. This lamp is fine but I am lighting more walk way than anything
else, and it does not cover enough area. Is there a bulb that will simply
fill the whole green house with enough light that won't cost an arm and a leg
in electric bills? Or will the 600 w. be fine if i just hang it high enough?
I greatly appreciate any tips about this dilemma.

Bill Hoyer
E mail: oreophila@aol.com

P.S. This light will be providing 100% of direct light. The sun only provides
dim indirect light.