Re: S. purpurea

From: JDPDX@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 29 1998 - 14:08:39 PDT

Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 17:08:39 EDT
From: JDPDX@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: S. purpurea

Scott,

Most of this sounds like a lack of light problem. What part of the country do
you live in? If you're not in a desert region I'd say just leave the plant
outside in a dish or tray of water. and a full sun location. It will recover
eventually, but is probably in some shock right now. S. purpurea can take
some very cold winters, but to be on the safe side, bring it into a garage or
cover it if the temps in your area get below 20 degrees F. in the winter.

I'll go on the record as saying that I'm not a big fan of terrariums for N.
American CP. I've just watched too many people kill their plants this way via
lack of light and fungus problems from the poor ventilation. Lots of the
tropicals do great in terrariums, i.e. Nepenthes, but Sarracenia and Venus
flytraps do much better as sunny windowsill plants.

Jeff