RE: Cephalotus Seed Germination...only a theory

From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Wed Sep 02 1998 - 13:31:10 PDT

Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:31:10 -0400
From: BREWER_CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Cephalotus Seed Germination...only a theory

There is a biochemical inhibition phenomenon exhibited by some plants
called allelopathy, which inhibits the germination of other species
through the release of some chemical(s) which retard or inhibit the
germination and growth of competitive species. With this in mind, I
surmise that the reverse reaction could also be a possibility in some
plants like Cephalotus, whereby the plant releases certain chemicals
that help break seed dormancy. Like the subject line says, it's only a
theory at best, but is worth experimenting with.

Doug,
 You might have a good point here. I found out through trial and error
 that
Ceph cuttings seem to root faster if planted next to rooted plants. I
have two 40 gallon aquariums that I use to root and grow cephs in. My
top aquarium is basically used to house newly rooted Cephs in until some
size is gained, then they are transferred to the greenhouse or outside
to grow. The bottom aquarium is strictly used to start cuttings in. A
while back, I had more cuttings them I did aquarium so I took the left
over cuttings and started planting them next to the plants in the top
aquarium. Most of the room inside the top aquarium was already filled
with rooted Cephs considered to be medium in size. I planted a good 50
or so cuttings all around these plant and for some reason, these
cuttings all seem to root faster. Both aquariums were set up the same
way with the same sight type, soil mix and high. I found no difference
in the way they grew once removed from the aquariums and re potted into
pots. Now it makes me wonder if I should add rooted plants to both
aquariums before starting my next batch of cuttings. BTW, I learned a
lesson recently with our recent hurricane Bonnie, never leave Cephs out
in a hurricane, they just don't seem to appreciate all the fresh air
they received. I did not lose any plants, but I can kill the big
pitchers goodbye. Of course, not all the Cephs were out in the
Hurricane, a bunch were still in the greenhouse and to my amassment, the
greenhouse survived the strong winds.
                                                                 Charles