RE: Sarr. Dormancy

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Thu Sep 03 1998 - 05:51:00 PDT

Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 08:51:00 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Sarr. Dormancy

>I have several Sarracenia planted in a mini-bog garden. They are
>starting to turn brown and die away. My first thought is dormancy. At
>what daylight hours and temperature do most go dormant? I live in
>mid-USA (Iowa). Or could this be of another cause? Thank you.

The pitchers of S. flava have a tendency to look aged following a hot summer
and are usually throwing out their phyllodia by now. The pitchers of most
Sarr will do well right up to frost so an early dormancy doesn't seem to be
the answer. If you have a low percent of your pitchers turning brown,
that's probably normal. I have a lot of damaged pitchers this year but
that's because I avoided getting rid of a parasitic moth for too long.

David
Atlanta