Drosera ID

From: Scott Mcphee (hyphae@email.msn.com)
Date: Sat Sep 05 1998 - 18:13:15 PDT

Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 18:13:15 -0700
From: "Scott Mcphee" <hyphae@email.msn.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera ID

I purchased a small Drosera a while back at (shudder) a large chain store
that will remain unnamed. It was from Gubler Orchids and labeled as D.
rotundifolia, though this is doubtful. Gubler is unresponsive to e-mail and
the person who answers the phone has no idea and won't have anyone call me
back ( I have an un id'ed Nepenthes from them also). The D. rotundifolia I
have seen in the Darlingtonia bogs in Plumas county, Ca. were much larger
than this.

The description for rotundifolia in the Savage garden is: 3 inch rosettes,
white flowers. The description in the Jepson Manual has it with white to
pink flowers with the rosettes 8-24cm.

The plant I purchased has rosettes 2-3cm broad, the overall shape is similar
to rotundifolia, the flowers are born on petioles over a foot long and are
bright pink. The plant is definately not still a seedling, it is a large
mound of at least 20 plants and has sent up at least 50 flower stalks, which
have been cut off for the most part.

I would like to get it id'ed so I will know if it will need a dormancy
period. Is it possibly D. spathulata??

Thanks for any light you can shed,

Scott Mcphee