Re: N. lowii

From: CMDodd@aol.com
Date: Sat Sep 05 1998 - 16:26:20 PDT

Date: Sat, 5 Sep 1998 19:26:20 EDT
From: CMDodd@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: N. lowii

<< Dear Nepenthes growers,

 I'm looking for growing advice on Nepenthes lowii, such as ideal night
 temperature, light requirement and whether this species prefers a wet medium
 or if it prefers to go just moist between waterings?

 Thanks in advance,

 Robert in Ottawa

Dear Robert,

N. lowii is my favorite species. I have plants growing here in Florida for
close to 10 years. Here a cooling system is a must and while I can't speak of
ideal conditions (they don't exist here, that's for sure!) I would think that
if you can maintain 50-55 degrees at night, and 78-82 by day that would be
great. Here it is closer to 60 by night and 85 by day and that is a bit warm.

I use a hanging basket with tree fern/fir bark/ and charcoal (all fine grade).
I would like to give higher light but here that means too much extra heat, so
the plants get moderate light. At your latitude high light will be a must and
extra lighting in winter couldn't hurt either. Keep the media moist, not
soggy.

Use pure water, DO NOT fertilize, mine was almost killed by dilute Peter's
20-20-20. Instead freeze crickets and then drop a few at a time in the
pitchers. After all, this is what Nepenthes were designed to do.

Be aware however that you will not get a big plant or upper pitchers
overnight, as Mr. Scholl has said, he name of the plant should be N. slowii.

Cliff