Re: Nepenthes care

From: EMSplants@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 09 1998 - 06:45:55 PDT

Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 09:45:55 EDT
From: EMSplants@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:  Nepenthes care

I recently purchased an unamed Nepenthes in a hanging basket. It has rather
large leaves and large pitchers that are tinted red. I am a beginner
Nepenthes grower who has grown Drosera and Sarracenia plants for 3 years now
and am comfortable with growing techniques (so far). I have a basic
carnivorous plant growers guide, but there are questions that I have regarding
Nepenthes care that the book does not cover. Here are the questions:
1. Do you need to add water to Nepenthes pitchers? I put a small amount in
the pitchers since the book mentioned that the enzymes mix with rain water
                to produce a slurry that the insects then take their final bath in.
2. Since Nepenthes need humidity and they are too large to put under a
humidity dome, can they simply be spritzed with deionized water to simulate
                                humidity? Or is it better to place the plant in a room with a humidifier?
3. I live in Hudson Valley area of New York state, would a western facing
window be too much light for a Nepenthes? (I don't know the particular
variety, but in general what do they prefer)
4. Any info-packed Nepenthes references out there?

Thank you all who answer! Your help is greatly appreciated,
Beth Ashton (emsplants@ aol.com)
Institute of Ecosystem Studies
Millbrook, NY