Re: Highland Nepenthes temps

From: CMDodd@aol.com
Date: Mon Sep 14 1998 - 17:37:19 PDT

Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 20:37:19 EDT
From: CMDodd@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Highland Nepenthes temps

I can't say what are ideal highland Nepenthes temperatures, but from several
years of cultivating a wide altitude range of species this seems to work for
most species:

For plants from 4000-7500 foot elevation a daytime temperature of around 82
degrees F. and a nighttime low of 55 is acceptable. However, I believe that
78/52 would be better, but this is beyond the parameters of the system I have.
I have noticed that plants like N. villosa, inermis, and singalana (?) suffer
at these temperatures, and this is not surprising considering the elevation at
which they can occur. Still, these temperatures are fine for N. gracillima,
macfarlanei, lowii, rajah, ovata, glabrata, burbidgea, stenophylla,
spectabilis, etc. Plants like N. sanguinea, fusca, ventricosa, khasiana, and
macro-vulgaris seem to grow best for me as intermediate altitude/temperature
plants. These grow well at 85/65, although some N. sanguinea prefer the
colder highland conditions.

It is important, and sometimes overlooked, that these plants need a day/night
temperature CYCLE as they would get in the wild, the so-called mountain
effect. This was noted in some of the old American Orchid Society newsletters
concering montane orchids. Highland plants do not thrive in lowland constant
heat, nor do they grow very well at constant cold temperatures. The habitat
where many of them grow have strong variations in heat, cold, humidity,
rainfall and sunlight, but warm days and cool/cold nights are the rule.

Highland species are much more tolerant of cold nights in cultivation. My
greenhouse (in Florida) is largely unheated during the winter and has gone as
low as 38 with no damage to any highland species. This is brief however, a
few nights at best, and long term exposure to these extremes is unknown.
Don't try this on lowland plants unless you like blackened bicalcarata. Yuck!

Cliff