Re: The Gasquet field trip

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Tue Sep 22 1998 - 14:25:51 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 17:25:51 EDT
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: The Gasquet field trip

Howdy folks, Peter here at California Carnivores. I've gotten a few messages
about the (San Francisco) Bay Area Carnivorous Plant Society's field trip this
weekend, so here's the scoop.
     We will be meeting at the Ranger Station in the town of Gasquet, on Hwy
199, at 9 am on both Saturday and Sunday. This is an informal and hopefully
fun weekend and nothing specific is planned, except to visit the nearby sites
of CP. We will probably carpool to the nearby areas, but it won't necessarily
be an all day thing on both days. Other things one can do up there is gold
pan, watch salmon leap up the Smith River (the last undammed River in
California), visit the fabulous Jebediah Smith Redwood forest, and so on.
Among CP sites there are many. We'll no doubt visit the famous covered bridge
Pinquicula grotto, drive up the Middle Fork road and see plenty of
Darlingtonia and Pings, and maybe a Bigfoot or two (Sasquatch), see D.
rotundifolia at Panther Flat, and buy postcards of the tsunami damage in
Crescent City after the earthquake of 1964. Typical California things!
     There's a motel in the hamlet of Hiouchi (spelling?) and there's the
Wagonwheel Motel in Gasquet itself (Erin and Tex informed me that the cafe is
unfortunately closed). There are campgrounds at Panther Flat (no showers) and
at Jebediah Smith Redwoods State Park (full facilities and gorgous).
     See ya'll up there! By the way, this will probably be the area where the
field trip for the May 2000 Convention is planned.
     For those in the Bay Area, Channel 5's Evening Magazine will be running a
story on California Carnivores sometime in the next couple of weeks, and the
San Francisco Chronicle will run a feature on us probably the Friday after
this.
     Th-th-th-th-th-that's all, folks! Peter