ICPS officers

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 09:40:00 PDT

Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:40:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: ICPS officers

> Since the ICPS vote has come up. I notice that there are 6 positions to be
> filled and 8 candidates. Am I right in interpreting this to mean that the
> CPN editors (who are running) will not automatically be members (or
> ex-officio members) of the Board? It would seem to me that as the
> newsletter is a critcal and demanding segment of ICPS activities, inclusion
> of the editors as board members would be automatic. If they are not, it
> changes the complextion of Board staffing. This has implications for
> manpower issues among other things. Can any of our current officers
> comment?

Hi Tom,

Barry here. Both Jan and I (CPN editors) are currently members of the
ICPS board. There is nothing in the bylaws which specify editors must be
on the board. Indeed, the editors are overseen by the board, and
presumably serve at the pleasure of the board (i.e., Jan and I could get
"fired" tomorrow if the board saw fit). I agree with you that the editors
should be represented on the board, which is one of the reasons I am
running!

This election will determine the 6 new board members. One of the first
actions of the new board (presumably) will be to choose the officers of
President, Vice-President, and Membership Coordinator from its ranks (this
third office is essentially the same as Secretary-Treasurer, but I call
it the Membership-Coordinator since the duties are more membership
oriented than anything else).

If you would like to see the candidates' statements, they are posted on
the ICPS website.

Cheers

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice