Update on Biodiversity Regulations

From: PTemple001@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 23 1998 - 15:26:13 PDT

Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 18:26:13 EDT
From: PTemple001@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Update on Biodiversity Regulations

For those following this...

The whole of Western Europe and North America plus almost any country with a
high percentage of endemic flora are now all signatories to the International
Biodiversity agreement (IBD). Though not actually international law, it is in
effect the same. No signatory country could easily ignore a situation where
its own citizens flouted an agreement signed by their government and therefore
its reasonable to assume that the full force of the law could be applied.

The rules apply to all plant material and associated data. Thus, information
regarding plant material from another country belongs to the country of origin
and, where there are populations with special rights, i.e. native populations
predating settlement by others, the native opulation will often have first
rights. Agreements apply to all plants and related data from 1994 onward.

Interestingly, it is now almost impossible to legally move plant material
without permission from the plant's host country'and to gain permission it
seems requestors will make most progress if applying for permits as part of
"approved" organisations. This probably means being a registered organisation
approved by agreed international organisations such as CITES. However, there
probably are loopholes (I think I've already found one!). From what little
more I've seen, I stick to my earlierview. Therefore, in my opinion,
regrettably many plants will now lose all scientific value. people will still
collect them but fear of being identified will force collectors to lie about
place, time or exact source of the specimen's origin. Thus, from 1994 onward,
it will be almost impossible to be sure of any provinance data published or
not. In fact, the potential for lying will effectively cause even true
publication to become untrustworthy!!! However, it does appear that the
existance of the IBD makes it all the more important for respectable Societies
(e.g. ICPS) to ensure conservation is well represented on their committees and
in their terms of reference.

I can't update more at the moment other than the major piece of news; that the
Botanic Gardens are working together to translate the agreements intoi a
working practices document. This will be published as soon as available and
I'll watch closely for its release. If I can get more news I'll continue to
update unless Mad beats me to iy (yoohoo Mad!!!). Rob (if you're reading
this) - no more available as yet but if I can get copy of the legal stuff I'll
will send it as promised.

And I can't rsist congrats to everyone concerned in relocating and publishing
the lost Nepenthes starring on ICPS journal cover. Wow!

Paul