RE: ICPS vote

From: Tom Massey (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Thu Sep 24 1998 - 08:48:07 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Sep 1998 11:48:07 -0400
From: Tom Massey <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: ICPS vote

Rick:

Well, I guess your comments are shadows of my concerns. As Barry pointed
out in his response, he sees the editors a little "at risk" if not
represented on the board. As he says:

".....Indeed, the editors are overseen by the board, and presumably serve
at the pleasure of the board (i.e., Jan and I could get "fired" tomorrow if
the board saw fit). I agree with you that the editors
should be represented on the board, which is one of the reasons I am
running!"

I am confident this is just an organizational issue to Barry and he is not
expecting to be shut-out of discussions. But as you say, since nearly all
your conversations include the editors, and if it would be foolish to do
otherwise, then perhaps the editors should be changed from de facto board
members to formal board members.
I guess I am really thinking about this in terms of workload issues. And
again you anticipate my concern. As it stands, you will have 6 board
members; two of these members may be editors who will be already fully
committed. This will leave 4 remaining members to do all the chores, and
one of these will be swamped with membership coordination. That leaves 3
to do everything else. Is this enough?

Perhaps the needs of ICPS do not require a lot of work, and three can split
the workload. However, as one of the four board members of our small club
here in Tampa, I can tell you that there is a lot to do. And we don't try
to serve Cp'ers all over the world and coordinate national and
international meetings, etc.

Now you could respond by saying don't elect editors to the board, and that
will provide 6 manpower slots, but then you are left with the concerns of
Barry (and perhaps Jan) who apparently feel that as editors they should
have a formal voice within ICPS.

As a friendly suggestion, I would propose that if the editors are not
elected to the board, that the board change their constitution and enlarge
to include the editors. (I would suggest ex offico membership as long as
it is understood that this is a voting membership.) If the editors are
elected, I would propose that, at the least, they consider the number
needed to accomplish the work of ICPS, and consider expanding the board for
the next election cycle.

For my own small voice, I believe the editors should be on the board and
will vote accordingly.

Hope this wasn't too windy. Hurricane Georges must be rubbing off on me!

Tom in Fl.