Re: The Gasquet Field Trip

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Wed Sep 30 1998 - 12:49:49 PDT

Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 15:49:49 EDT
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: The Gasquet Field Trip

Howdy folks, Peter here at California Carnivores! Just wanted to drop a note
that the field trip to Gasquet was perfect in every way, and we all had loads
of fun. About 14 folks came up for the weekend. The weather was warm and
wonderful, and the Darlingtonia, Pinguicula and Drosera were all still in full
growth. We were even surprised that some pings and sundews were in full
flower, a nice off-season treat. Most of us were up there planning the field
trip for the convention in May of the year 2000, and if this all goes as
planned, it should be a fab experience for everyone. We plan on returning in
May of next year for final planning of the convention trip.
     I must say, as a teaser to encourage participation in the 2000
convention, that the area around Gasquet is a magnificent wilderness area of
stupendous mountains, aqua-marine rivers, towering cliffs of serpentine,
gigantic redwood forests and of course some spectacular CP sites that are very
different from CP habitats in other parts of the world. To stand at the base
of a cliff conveniently roadside and have deeply maroon Cobra Plants staring
you in the face, with butterworts around them catching huge carpenter ants and
houseflies, is an experience not soon forgotten. Not to mention all the
orchids and other wildflowers that should be in full bloom during the month of
May. No, we didn't catch sight of Bigfoot...but maybe next time!
      By the way, the Rebecca's Garden TV people came by last week and spent a
whole day shooting the segment on California Carnivores. They were quite a
wild bunch, to say the least, and were much fun. If one ever does a TV
carnivorous plant blooper show, they'd get plenty just from this one episode!
Rebecca says the show should air sometime early in the New Year. We'll let you
know ...
     Th-th-th-th-th-that's all folks! Peter